26 March 2017

Making contact with Plant Heritage

@PH spring prop meeting 2017
On Wednesday I attended the Hampshire Group Meeting of Plant Heritage. It was a lovely social event where Rosie Yeoman taught us about spring propagation at Lynsey Pinks' House. I definitely crashed the average age by far as all other members were 60+ and I felt like the black sheep at first. But everyone made me feel welcome and it turned out a very nice afternoon with new friends.

Very fortunately our Hampshire chairman Doug Smith also joined us so I found myself surrounded by quite a few committee members. I breached the subject of Tricyrtis and was able to ask a few questions. Rosie pointed me towards Sophie Leguil and was delighted to hear about my interest of Tricyrtis as there is indeed a lack of conservation on that front.

After contacting Sophie I found out there have been previous National Collections of Tricyrtis in the past, one in Gloucestershire and one in Carmarthenshire, both no longer exist, yet there might be a small chance of exchanging knowledge perhaps. As mentioned before, Crûg Farm is also a good place to enquire about more details on Tricyrtis, as well as Beeches Nursery in Essex seem to have a good range of Tricyrtis on offer, some of which seem unavailable otherwise.

Sophie also mentioned a French nursery which offers an extensive range of Tricyrtis. I had only a brief look at their online catalogue so far and I found some new names which are not on any of the RHS lists or Plant Lists. I think I will focus on British sources first and will look at French or German growers when I am more familiar within the Tricyrtis subject. At the moment it feels overwhelming as my brain is trying to sort the flood of information into a more structural system.

I have sent emails to varies people, hoping they are happy to answer some of my many questions. Of course, I would much prefer talking to them in person. I am impatiently waiting until May when I head towards Wales, however, at present I am unable to make it to Essex.

With Plant Heritage being contacted and informed about my intend to collect Tricyrtis I feel the pressure is now on and no turning back. This whole project is very thrilling. I am excited to meet professional colleagues and make new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment