16 March 2017

New additions to my collection

When I started thinking about this new project of maybe starting a Tricyrtis collection, I only had T. formosana, the most common toad lily growing in my garden. Last autumn when they were in flower again, I got so excited and delighted, realising how much I love those plants. That was the beginning for all this.

Since many hours of research and learning more about this beautiful genus I have been itching to add new specimen to my garden. T. formosana looked quite lonely and any of you would have laughed at me:
Is that all you are having? All this fuzz for three pots of T. formosana? You call that a "collection"?
But hey: Don't we all start small? And one has to start somewhere, right?
So after I determined what species and cultivars are available within the Tricyrtis genus and which of those are considered rare I was keen to do some shopping. As any passionate person can relate, such shopping adventures can lead to some expensive spendings. Pace yourself! I told myself. Little by little, as fundings allow. Or to phrase it famously: Rome wasn't build in one day.

I was happy to spend (or invest as I see it) £100, which is already quite a big start. I went ahead shortlisting my favourites and ordering those online. I tried to order them in threes, as required by Plant Heritage and also to have backup for the worst case scenario. Not to forget of course my trip to North Wales when I will be visiting Crûg Farm with yet another shopping list.

  • T. ohsumiensis
  • T. macranthopsis
  • T. flava
  • T. ishiiana
  • T. latifolia
  • T. 'Sinonome'
  • T. 'Moonlight Treasure'
  • T. 'Golden Leopard'
Quite a few of them still have to be confirmed by the nurseries, as they apparently shoot late and they don't want to send me a potentially empty pot. Patience is required here it seems.

My T. ohsumiensis, however, has already arrived. Needless to say I am incredibly excited to be able to call this gem my own from now on. I cannot wait to see it growing and flowering and then being able to take my own pictures.

Three T. ohsumiensis added to my collection

No comments:

Post a Comment